“Eat Your Greens!” muffins
- 1 ½ c white whole wheat flour (I like King Arthur brand)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg
- ½ c honey
- ½ c applesauce
- 1 c baby spinach, (packed tight)
- 3 TBSP light oil (like canola)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest (packed tight)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees (F)
- Prepare your 12 cup muffin tin with liners and/or non-stick spray. (I use liners AND spray them with my canola spray – it makes them very portable and the muffins don’t stick to the liners!)
- First, processor the spinach in a food processor until it is chopped up into small bits.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, beat the egg and honey together first, then whisk in the remaining ingredients.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and fold in gently until evenly combined.
- Divide batter among your 12 prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until just set. (These muffins do not really “brown”).
- Cool in pan 2-3 mins, and then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- Enjoy getting your veggies in a sweet muffin form!